Friday, February 10, 2017

Happy Birthday Kevin

This is my sharing of grief, loss and the daily act of coping with the death of my loving husband, Kevin. He passed away on June 26, 2016 after a devastating year-long battle with lung cancer that metastasized. 

If not for cancer Kevin would have turned 60 today. I imagine we would be in Disney town right about now, having lunch with his sister Georgia, Cathy, maybe the girls and anyone else who could meet up with us at The House of Blues or Raglan Road. We would be enjoying birthday cake and happy times. Here we are a few years ago, doing just that:



The following year we were back and at one of our favorite stores in Downtown Disney, now Disney Springs. Where else can a group of goofy people act goofy, but at Goofy's Candy Company? This time for my birthday. I laugh every time I think of Kevin on his hands and knees, being silly in the fun-house mirror. 


Kevin loved his MAC. This was taken in September, 2014, so I suspect he and Steve  via email were trading jokes about whatever college football game was currently on TV. His twinking eyes and sweet smile.



Kevin celebrated his last birthday in front of the TV cheering on Bernie Sanders. By then he'd been through so much with the cancer treatments, pneumonia and all. It was rough on him, but we had faith. And he never lost his sense of humor.


Kevin was always my best supporter. I doubt myself a lot. Always have. So when I was doing something like sewing or cooking and I finally felt like I did a good job I heard this, "Yay, Nancy."  I would feel so lucky to always have his love and approval. Tears flow now thinking of him saying that to me just a few days before he died. 

Now when I finish up a sewing project, drawing, cooking or just getting through the day I say, "Yay Nancy,"  and thank him for all he's done for me.

Happy Birthday, Kevin. I love you. I miss you every day.






2 comments:

  1. You were his love and his life. You did such a great job keeping that smile on his face. Thank you. God bless you. And Yay, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia you did a fantastic job helping to raise your baby brother. Kevin was always so proud of you and loved you and his brother Rick.

      Delete