Thursday, January 26, 2017

I know when it is a good day and this is one.(Overall) Part One and Part Two

It was a conscious decision I made this morning. Heck I deserve a good day now and then. Not that all of the rest of my days were bad. Lately, when I mentally lay out my day something comes along and messes up my plans. Not that I am some ultra organized human that hits a low when someone throws me off a second or two. I even started charting my days on a dry erase board that adorns the refrigerator door. I list a few days at a time and generally what I hope to accomplish each day. Of course my lists are bold. I have me tackling and finishing projects I've put off for days, weeks, months. I guess a stupendous day would be the one that involves me actually accomplishing those things on the list.

So none of Part One is what I am talking about when I refer to having a good day.

What I mean is the distractions. And I shouldn't call them bad because the problems/distractions aren't easy to fix.

Part One


My neighbors. After three weeks in the hospital and rehab, my neighbor is finally home. I brought him home on Monday. Monday was a very long stressful day. They at the rehab facility told his wife he would be discharged at 1 p.m.  In the meantime, they were still working on setting up home health care and preparing his prescriptions, among other stuff.

His wife doesn't drive, so that's why I am so heavily involved right now. So, I kept asking every staff person I could find, if the prescriptions could be given to her so we could run off and get then filled before his time of departure. I was told they would let someone else who was in charge of that know and to expect someone to stop by his room with the scripts shortly. Finally at 12:30 the charge nurse came in with a stack of papers. Turned out he had what we needed. I just realized this is a long long story, so let me move on.

Anyhow, his wife also needed to grocery shop and he is now on a renal/diabetes "fusion type" diet that she had to cipher from the foods he'd been eating while in rehab. Even though he is 75, he still works at Publix, part-time. So, we had to go to the Publix where he works to get the prescriptions filled and to grocery shop. That took three hours. The nurse told us not to worry, that he could stay until the end of his shift, which was 7 p.m. As it was I was involved in this adventure until we finally made it home after 4 p.m.

When we got back to the rehab place, a woman from a home health care company was waiting for us. As was the case manager who oversees all of this crap. They assured my neighbors that all was set up and home health care would be at their door sometime in the afternoon on Tuesday.

He still has a catheter for now that needs to be maintained and must check his glucose daily, which neither of them have dealt with before.

The nurse did arrive as stated. She was very helpful, making phone calls and setting necessary doctors' appointments and going through all of the rehab paperwork doing what they normally do on their first visit. There were some problems regarding prescriptions that wouldn't be ready for one or two days and what not, but the nurse made plans to return the next morning to make sure everything would work out.

Then the nurse called them Wednesday morning to explain that the paperwork wasn't complete and they had not received clearance from their insurance. She wasn't allowed to return until everything was settled. It is Thursday and they still haven't heard from the home health company.

This afternoon I convinced her to call the rehab and the home care places to try and get some answers. Turns out the paperwork sent to  Blue Cross/Blue Shield was incorrect. It had the home health care start date for last Saturday (he wasn't released to go home until Monday). So the insurance company declined the request and now it is pending. Been pending for the last three days. Who knows how that happened.

My neighbors think everything will be okay with him health wise until his appointment with his new primary care doc on Tuesday. My head is spinning enough for today. I hope they are right.

I feel sorry for them as they are dependent on each other. But I am especially worried for her. There are too many things she can't do on her own. It makes me wonder how many other people live in this adult community who are in the same situation. If you can't drive in this area, it is a huge problem.

I could feel used or put out by having to do these daily tasks for my neighbors. But that wouldn't be right. They have no choice but to turn to me. I reached out to help them. None of our other neighbors did so, with the exception of one who gave her a ride to the rehab center last Saturday morning. I asked him to because I was setting up at a farmers market and had to be there way early. No one to take her to get prescriptions. No other way to the grocery store. How many other people are in this situation?  I wonder.

As much agony I feel some days, I m blessed to be independent and able to take care of me. Maybe not always, but for now its all good.

Kevin was lucky to have me caring for him. I'm not bragging. Just thankful I was able to do what I could for him. Kevin was a strong self-motivated person. He always took care of me. Even when Kevin was so sick in that bed at Bayonet Point Hospital, he worried I wasn't eating right, getting enough rest or having time to relax. Our similar personalities and devotion to one another helped create a strong bond between us. We tried always to be strong for each other.  And strong on our own.

Part 2  The good stuff for today.

I just realized this post is taking me hours to write, but hey, I am on a roll.

I got a badly needed hair cut this morning. My stylist, Julie is a senior like me. She works two days a week at this nice salon located next door to my gym. How convenient. Julie is a master at cutting wavy/curly hair like mine and we have a real talk fest every time I go there. We have stuff in common. Like being widowed.  She always has a lot of tips regarding grief and taking care of myself. I love her personality and pride she puts into making my hair look great again.

Of course, right after the haircut I went to the gym. I've met some really nice people. We share laughs and some serious conversations as we work out. My neighbor, Carmen started going with me on Wednesday and my other neighbor and friend Phyllis is starting tomorrow, so my gym circle is growing. Yay. 

Granddaughter Serena just designed a great new business card for me She is very creative. I like to think she takes after Grandma. Actually I know she's light years ahead of me when it comes to art, crafts, baking, design. Oh I could go on and on. She's also spreading my stuff on Instagram. I am anxious to get my new business cards. 

Kevin and Serena, Nov 27, 2012 at Downtown Disney

I made this amazing chicken soup last night and enjoyed a bowl full for lunch. It was so good because of the veggies I got and the farmers market last weekend. I started with a stock I made using the green top and part of a huge Florida sweet onion. The woman I bought the veggies from gave me that tip.  I also used tomatoes, zucchini, lots of carrots and celery. The stock is so flavorful and rich. I ended up roasting the red peppers I'd picked up. Then peeled, seeded and cut the peppers in strips and covered them with EEOO. I poached the chicken in the stock So, I ended up with a nice pot of soup ready for my belly now and some I froze to enjoy later.

Early this afternoon I cut some fabric for making wallets. I am planning some serious sewing this weekend.

Then I was off to Grief Support Group  and that was much better than last time. There were fewer people attending this week. Our leader Laura explained some are doing an eight-week workshop and may not come to Grief Support Group until that session which is a comprehensive overview of grief and mourning. there were first-timers and we had some interesting discussions.  

My friend, Nancy, was back today after having cataract surgery two weeks ago.  We became buddies when we realized we could only remember each other's names. Everyone cracks up over that and repeat their names for us. She is very sweet. She's having a very hard time over losing her husband of 50 or 60 years. (I forgot how long) Today she  wanted to know all about my craft business and how I am doing with it since reopening my shop.  I asked her about the cataract surgery. Something I have coming up soon. 

So, these things made this a good day.  And as you can see, my days are pretty full, which is healthy for me. Now, me and kitty are ready to settle down for some HGTV and bed. Tomorrow is coming and we need to be ready. 

Thank you for reading my posts. Peace, love and hugs. Antsy Nancy


No comments:

Post a Comment