Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Taking care to take care

A few weeks ago when I went to my doctor because of my hip, the first thing he asked was,"How are you doing?" I replied, "I'm falling apart."  His response was, "Oh no, don't say that."

I didn't really believe it at the time, even though I am facing some major dental work and then my hip and leg pain wouldn't go away, as I'd hoped.

The hip turns out to be osteoarthritis  and I will find out more about that at this Friday's appointment.
Okay, maybe I am not falling a part.

I decided to get my annual eye exam. Last year I went in the middle of Kevin's chemo sessions. I was told the cataracts growing in my left eye weren't ready for surgery, otherwise all was fine. I declined getting new glasses because by my thinking why spend all of that money on glasses that won't be any good once I have the cataracts removed. So, I bought some readers and they seemed to do the job, for a while.

Last weekend when I drove to the craft show at 6 a.m. it was a little scary trying to drive in the dark. That's when I made the decision to get my eyes checked again.

Today, I found out the cataracts are still slowly growing and that's good news because I should get another year before having them removed. But, now I have cataracts starting in my right eye. Eye doc told me to come back sooner, if my eyes get worse, things are more out of focus.

So, I broke down and bought new glasses.  All of the bells and whistles and I will get them in the proverbial week to ten days.

Except for the cataracts, my eye are healthy. I am still falling apart!

I've decided to reopen my Etsy shop. And will do whatever shows come along to help pay for all this falling apart. Yes, I have insurance which is good for covering some little something, but I'm not sure what. My eyes are still dilated and I can't read the receipt.

I messed up and put off taking care of myself. Then when it got to point where I could no longer ignore things, I was busy trying to help Kevin fight cancer.

Kevin tried to undo the harm his body endured from alcohol and cigarettes. He marked the days in his journals since he'd stopped drinking. Three years and 141 days (1,236 days) is what he wrote in his last entry, April 25th. He quit smoking in 2011.

So, I don't mean to be complaining about falling apart. As Stephanie reminds me, it could be worse.

Oh oh. The Indians are behind in the Indians are down 2-1 in the bottom of the sixth inning. I make sure the game is on for Kevin, although he's probably hovering over Rogers Stadium in Toronto, a city he loves. The Indians were also his Audrey, his mom's favorite team.

Kevin's always loved baseball. He told me he was a pretty good pitcher in Little League. He loved Spring Training and covering games for the Stuart News. He formed professional friendships with some managers and players.

Kevin is probably jumping from start to star over how well his Indians are doing. I need to check on his other favorite sports, college football and golf.

Yikes, better go cheer on the Indians, now it is 4-1, Blue Jays (his other favorite team).

Have a nice rest of your week. Don't neglect your health. Be happy and spend as much time as possible with those you love.









No comments:

Post a Comment