Friday, September 30, 2016

Rainbows and teeth

This is my sharing of grief, loss and the daily act of coping with the death of my loving husband, Kevin. He passed away on June 26th after a devastating year-long battle with lung cancer that metastasized. 

Before I forget. I walked 3.2 miles this morning, for an hour and seven minutes, plus I burned 288 calories. That includes scaling the biggest hills in our development. This is good considering I didn't get out to walk yesterday.

My mouth is my problem. There was a lot of pain and aching involved until I called my dentists (remember I started going to a nearby practice that recently opened and the dentists are a young couple). Well, it is a branch owned by the her father. A dental caring family. We have a plan in place. I am saving up enough to implement it. Wednesday night was all pain and no sleep. Ongoing infections getting harder to endure. I called my dentists early Thursday and by late morning the remains of two old teeth were history.

It was quick, painless and I don't miss them. Now kicking myself for all of the previous neglect.

I thought back to when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, I faithfully read the books and literature given to me by my oncologist. One sentence stood out like a guiding light or sore thumb. It read, see your dentist. Be sure teeth cleaning and immediate dental work is completed before you start chemotherapy.

I was soon due for a check up. I called and pleaded my case for an appointment within three days. Thankfully, all I needed was a cleaning. The hygienist was surprised when I told her what I'd read.

On to this morning's walk

My teeth problems made me think of Kevin. Well, I always think about him. I mean I started thinking about his teeth problems that arose right in the middle of  his chemotherapy treatments.

He was being treated with antibiotics for Thrush. Finally, Dr. Tang advised him to see a dentist and went about trying to find one for him that takes Medicaid, but that was a bust. We got him an appointment at the county dental clinic. That was promising. There they did all of the X-rays and prep work for the work to be done at a dental college north of Tampa. That Friday, we set up an appointment for the following week, He ended up in the hospital, missed that appointment and never made a new one. There was so much going on in his life, he just didn't see going to the dentist as a big issue.

So, my lesson today is: If you are diagnosed with cancer or another disease or illness that means months of treatment/recovery, go to the dentist beforehand and cross that task off your list.

Same goes for caregivers.


When I first set out walking today, the sky was blanketed with a cover of dark clouds. The sun did it's best to  bust out to reveal a beautiful blue sky and small tufts of bright white clouds.



I spotted three rainbows. Signs from Kevin, maybe cheering me on for walking three miles. Just as I got the farthest distance from home, it started to sprinkle, more of a mist than rain. I worried about my phone and camera. Just then I spotted a newspaper sleeve/bag in the road. I grabbed it for device protection, just in case. Thanks Kevin, I love you.

 


When I rounded the corner heading home, my crow buddies were waiting for crackers. Let's hope I never run out!




Have a nice day and fun-filled weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment