Wednesday, September 14, 2016

New day is better

This is my sharing of grief, loss and the daily act of coping with the death of my loving husband, Kevin. He passed away on June 26th after a devastating year-long battle with lung cancer that metastasized. 

I've come a ways since Monday regarding emotions and feeling lonely. On Tuesday, I started with a two-mile walk and a stop at our neighbors' house to thank them for keeping our lawn cut while I was away.  It was a good visit.Since last spring, half of our neighbors went north for the summer. So it's been quiet. With all that was going on with Kevin's health, we didn't spend much time socializing. So, it was good for me to have them catch me up on whatever I missed, which wasn't much. It helped switch my mind, a bit.

I had walking partners yesterday: Sandhill Cranes.



I spent the rest of the day picking up and putting away things. One thing I realized is that I am drifting. I start one project and before I realize it, I am off doing something else. I am keeping busy and not focusing so much on sadness and being lonely. I've advanced to the scatterbrained level. About the only thing I accomplished is finishing up Season 2 of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix. Of course I carved a stamp and crocheted a dish cloth while I watched that hilarious series.

Something not so fun was having to check the "widow' box when I was filling out a new patient dentist form. I am no longer Mrs. Whitney-Conway.

Today, I woke, walked and watered some plants. The day is young and I have enough to keep me busy. Stephanie left a great comment that reminds me how much support I have from others, especially them. I will have up and down days. It is as it should be. My approach will be to make the best of each day and keep that WWKD attitude. I miss him everyday. He misses me, too.

Something we loved about our community in Brooksville is the abundance of beautiful trees and flowers. I took this photo for Kevin during this morning's walk.When we first moved here we tried and failed with the tropical plants we were use to when we lived in Palm Beach County. Temps get below freezing here at least once every winter and we lost a lot of plants before we learned our lesson. Our walks were curtailed when Kevin became too sick and weak, but I still took (and take) pictures for Kevin to enjoy.


Have a great day. It is thundering and the sky is filled with dark clouds. That's what I get for watering the plants. Guess it is a good laundry and otherwise indoor activity day. Thank you for keeping up with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment