Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Funky mail and the lawn gets cut

This is my sharing of grief, loss and the daily act of coping with the death of my loving husband, Kevin. He passed away on June 26th after a devastating year-long battle with lung cancer that metastasized. 

Something that bothers me a lot is the bizarre mail sent to Kevin, nearly three months after his death. These pieces came today. I smudged the address to protect the innocent.(To misquote a Dragnet phrase.) So what made this insurance company think it was a good thing to send this offer to a dead man?

Seems like they must've known he was terminally ill. Why else would they bring up the death benefit? Ooh, I could scream. Oh yes, a "free quote" and the Walmart gift card would be the deal maker -- not. The other piece of mail is sent to a valued former subscriber. The New Yorker has been trying to get him back for three years now. It is too late. At least the Tampa Bay Times finally stopped delivering the paper 5 months after he cancelled the subscription.

A few days after Kevin passed away he started getting hand-written letters from members of an area church, inviting him to join their congregation. Fortunately,  they stopped after a week or two. The amount of mail addressed to him has lessened. Of course he still gets lots of creidt card offers.

Good news, I cut the lawn first thing this morning. Took two hours (we have two lots) and it looks great.  Lawns here have gone crazy growing this year because of all of the rain.  This time of the year we always end up cutting every 10 days. I paid our neighbor to cut it three times during the five weeks I was staying at Stephanie's. By the end of October, we should be able to put the lawn mower away until next Spring.

Getting out and doing yard work was good for me. I didn't get my walk in, but I did go shopping this afternoon and years ago, my oncologist told me his wife said shopping is equivalent to a brisk walk. So, it must be true. And I did the laundry, so I feel good that I didn't waste time walking around in circles, going from one project to another.

I felt Kevin following me along. He enjoyed mowing the lawn and would be happy to see it looking so good. I am the same as Kevin about that feeling of accomplishment after cutting the lawn.  Last year, Spring of 2015, he was still doing most of the mowing, some trimming and all of the weeding. By summer and chemotherapy sessions, he was just doing the weeding. Since then,  the lawn has been up to me or Stephanie and Serena whenever they come to visit. It bothered him a lot not being able to do those chores

We even bought a better lawn mower this year that is self-propelled and has push start. It was for me and for him, once he was able again. Well, I feel like today I did something to make Kevin smile. That feels good.

Thank you for reading my blog posts and for all of your support. I really appreciate it.

.  






No comments:

Post a Comment